Sunday, January 1, 2012

Diascia rigescens

Diascia rigescens in fall
D. rigescens flowers up close


This species of diascia is the best one I have grown thus far, although there aren't any ugly diascias, to be sure.  I grew it from seed from Silverhill, and it flowered nonstop from July to October.  It did not mind our rainy summer, wild temperature swings, crazy October snowstorm, and the several frosts of recent weeks (though the weather has been oddly mild overall).  While flowers are long gone, the leaves remain green (as do some other diascias), though that will be tested when lows drop one night this comin week into the teens (F) for the first time this winter.  My plants did set some seed, and diligent searching by yours truly recovered enough to assure another generation in case it does not turn out to be winter hardy.  I do think it lacks its natural pollinator here, though, because seed set is rather low in spite of my plants being genetically different (seed grown, not cutting grown) and flowering profusely.  If started early, it can be grown as an annual, though I do hope it proves to be perennial in my garden.  I am also growing D. integerrima, which does very well in Denver, but it bloomed sparsely in my garden this summer, although it did survive the previous winter.  I think it would flower better in a more typical drier and sunnier summer than what we experienced this year. I started seeds of Diascia fetcaniensis "African Queen" from Chilterns as well, these plants make much flatter mats than D. rigescens or integerrima, and flowered later.  They did not set seed and did not make as grand a display as D. rigescens.  Perhaps if they make it through the winter I will get more substantial flowering next year. 


2 comments:

scottweberpdx said...

Those are lovely...they have a nice airy quality to them...I hope they prove hardy for you :-)

msi ventus said...

Thanks for your article, I got such a beautiful reference.


Bunga Indah